VP Powermaster fuel review.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VP Powermaster fuel review.

Administrator with the very sexy legs!! gray.g's Avatar
    Thanks

Default VP Powermaster fuel review.

Now im not big on change me, I like to know where I am and what’s what, whether it’s my personal life or one of my favorite leisure pursuits of RC racing. You know what works, you know what’s reliable, you know the things that feel right and you’re comfortable with.
    If she comes home and cooks me some animal substitute like that Quorn crap just because the last roast joint looked a bit like Shergar......well im not having it, im out of my comfort zone! “Where’s my meat and two veg woooman”!? (Actually if I moaned at her like that about her cooking, that’s exactly where I’d get a kick!)

“So what is this upheaval you talk of Gray, what is driving you to distraction”!?
    I hear you guys, I know your concerned!

A few weeks ago I was ripping it up at NDOR’s fab RC track and was pitting with a good buddy of mine Mick Butler. Now Mick pulls a bottle of blue fuel out of his sack! It was a new one on me and he goes on to tell me it’s a new one in the UK. In fact ‘go on’ is probably a little understated! He was positively raving about the stuff......”you gotta try this fuel Gray, the Yanks are going nuts for it, you really need it in your life”!
    Hmm, calm down Michael, have you been swigging on it instead of burning it!!
    The thing is it did catch my attention a little. Mick is a top drawer driver, he regularly makes the A mains and there was no way he would be running any kind of inferior fuel blend.

Now I run Byrons. Ive always run Byrons, im a Byrons boy,Im comfortable with it, I know where I am with it. Quite a few other fuels have come, and some have stayed and some have gone. But ive never swayed or changed. Did I mention....I run Byrons!

A short time after, I receive contact from the UK distributor of this new blue ‘wondrous’ liquid, a guy named Chris Dent. He asks would I like to try a gallon of his nitro and, if im happy with it, would I like to run it this coming season?!
    Ahem, cough errr......what ya say, Byrons, never heard of the stuff!!

But getting serious for a moment, before id let this massive upheaval in my life take place I needed to look into this fuel and feel confident about its credentials.
    The fuel in question is called Powermaster and its produced by a US company called VP Racing Fuels Inc. Now when I looked into the background of VP my initial nervousness began to ebb away, this was a company that had an enormous history and heritage in making top class racing fuel! They have been blending and formulating full size race car fuel since 1974. They started out making fuel for drag racing. This was a massive success and led to their expansion into the motorcycle arena which was met with similar success, as the VP team worked personally with each of the factory motocross and road racing teams to develop custom blends for their applications. VP’s dominance of this market is illustrated by its fueling of most of the championships in American Motorcycle Association (AMA) Pro Racing throughout the last decade. VP’s R&D team also developed fuels specifically for sanctioning bodies in Europe, including FIA (Automotive) and FIM (Motorcycle).

Bloody hell! This looks promising don’t it just!

So a few days later the postman knocks and drops me a box!
    I have a butchers inside and Chris has done me proud with a gallon of 25% Powermaster, a branded fuel bottle, and a pile of decals. Result!

Good start!

This hook up with the new fuel has come just at the right time. I’m ready to bring my OS Speed out from its winter hibernation. At the end of last summer’s racing I stripped it down, cleaned all the nitro from it, oiled it up and put it away. So now is the perfect time to introduce it to its new ‘blood’ and run it afresh on a different fuel.
    First outing for it is a local deserted car park. Here I can try the Speed, start at base needle settings and put a tune on it ready for racing the following weekend. I pour in the magic potion, pre-heat and fire her up. The engine runs with no issues. Starting slightly rich, I lean it out until its pulling strongly from a dead start, and clearing out at full pull, with a nice smoke trail all the way through. So first indications are all good!

The following Sunday I was off to NDOR for the final round of the clubs winter series and the real bread and butter track test for the VP!

VP Powermaster in the GTM pits!

Engine pre-heated and she fires up straight off. Revs were hanging a little after full throttle on the box so we lowered the tick over and leaned the bottom end.
    Then it’s on to the track for the first heat. The car ran fine. The car ran fine for the rest of the day. The tune never wavered and there was lots of power on tap and I was tempted to lean it out for more, but felt in the wet low grip conditions it may have worked against me.
    The one thing I did notice was the run times. It’s quite hard to judge accurately but after a heat, which was six minutes in duration, the two minute warm up and then bringing it home, I was cutting the engine at the 9.30 to 9.45 minute mark. Every time, there was just under a quarter of a tank left!
    Now the engine could of gone leaner, which would have been even kinder on its consumption, but I was driving conservatively, in the aforementioned conditions, which was going to be kind on fuel usage and I was running an OS Speed which are known for great run times BUT, the run times for the VP was impressive and definitely up there with the Byrons if not better!

After three qualifying heats I had ended up in 10th spot overall and a place in the A main….kerpow! The new fuel puts me in the A!
    Sadly I didn’t get chance to see how my long run times would advantage me in the final as the meeting was called to a halt not long after, due to the deluge of rain that hit the track for two hours non stop!

All in all I was happy with how the car ran on the VP. To be honest, as the day progressed it went out of my head that I was on a different fuel at all, as it gave me zero issues and I was concentrating on the running and performance of the car which is how it should be.

Powermaster’s claimed list of advantages goes as follows.......

More consistent engine tune.
    Easier starts.
    Longer run times.
    Superior engine lubrication.
    More power.

Bold claims and pretty much what every new fuel manufacture rattles off when they hit the market as that list is what the drivers want from a fuel and lets face it, their not exactly going to say its shite now are they!
    But can I back those claims up, can I measure those claims against the fuel I was using prior to the VP!?
    Can I fook as like!
    But what I will say is that the VP works. Im going to carry on using it and remember.......I don’t do change!

Basically it does exactly what it says on the tin. Actually it comes in a can but who’s for small details!

Massive thanks to Chris Dent for sending me the VP Powermaster for test and for providing me with the fuel for the rest of this seasons racing.

This should see me right for a while.
    Chris kindly threw in a t-shirt and cap.

Some related reading for you to click on to.......

VP Racing Fuels website
    Powermasters website
    Adrenaline models for buying the fuel

Graham Grice...GTMracing.
    GTMracing
    With support from........

VP Powermaster Fuels....click

IBProstart...click
    REVOLVE RC...click
    FORMULUX Racing....click

Agama A8 Evo
    OS speed.... x2

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gray.g For This Useful Post:

andyhitman (31-03-2013),lashy (19-03-2013),MALLET (19-03-2013),MrJonny (19-03-2013)

Truly Hardcore Basher Hellopips's Avatar
    Thanks

whats the price tad gray
    always the bridesmade never the bride

FUTURE WORLD MODLES

Truly Hardcore Basher Hellopips's Avatar
    Thanks

tag even lol
    always the bridesmade never the bride

FUTURE WORLD MODLES

Extreme Basher
    Thanks

just found the blue stuff on ebay, seems to be reasonably priced. i'm tempted to try some myself.

Wannabe Basher
    Thanks

What an awesome write up there Gray, it was really good to read, a big Thankyou to you, I'm glad you like the goodies to

and a big thank you to Mick Butler also

I would like to mention I have got a 15% Off VP fuel for Maxbashing members just type in MAXBASH15 at the checkout at www.adrenalinemodels.co.uk
    Hot Bodies D812, REDS, VP Powermaster Fuel

http://www.adrenaline-rc.co.uk

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Adrenaline Models For This Useful Post:

gray.g (19-03-2013),MALLET (19-03-2013),Ross (19-03-2013)

Thanks

Dennis and I ran this fuel whilst at the Dirt Nitro, Mike Battaile produces VP racing fuels and is a great guy! Looked after us whilst in the states.
    Both Dennis and I couldn't believe how good the fuel was! Power, run times just superb.
    Risa racing made the switch to Powermaster on our return to the UK, Chris really looking after the team, thanks 👍
    Sunday just gone had my second meeting with my new Novarossi keep off, and whilst still extremely rich got 12 minutes!

Awesome fuel!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lashy For This Useful Post:

gray.g (21-03-2013)

Thanks

well this was the first time i have really tried the fuel out at the Bunny Boiler,,,,, and to be honest i am glad i did what a different's it makes to my Alpha engine, keeps it cooler and longer run times, even though my alpha is running well rich i still get over 10 mins with ease,,,,,,so well happy with this fuel and i will be sticking with it

thanks for bringing this to my attention as i would of never know

Administrator with the very sexy legs!! gray.g's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andyhitman View Post

thanks for bringing this to my attention as i would of never know
    No worrys.
    Job well done id say
    GTMracing
    With support from........

VP Powermaster Fuels....click

IBProstart...click
    REVOLVE RC...click
    FORMULUX Racing....click

Agama A8 Evo
    OS speed.... x2

Banned
    Thanks

when will it be back in stock???

Extreme Basher
    Thanks

adrenaline models have it in stock (uk supplier).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast